How do I prevent bad breath?
- Practice good oral hygiene – Brush at least twice a day, replacing your toothbrush every 2 to 3 months. Floss daily to remove food debris and plaque from in between the teeth and under the gumline. Brush or use a tongue scraper to clean the tongue and reach the back areas.
- If you wear dentures or removable bridges, clean them thoroughly and place them back in your mouth in the morning.
- See Dr. Capati regularly. Get a check-up and cleaning at least twice a year.
- Stop smoking/chewing tobacco. There are many good programs to help you.
- Drink water frequently. Water will help keep your mouth moist and wash away bacteria.
- Certain mouthwash/rinses can assist. Some will kill the germs and others will only mask the odor.
In most cases, your dentist help you treat the cause of bad breath. Even with a healthy mouth, persistent bad breath should have you referred to your physician to determine the cause of the odor and an appropriate treatment plan.